Friday, February 17, 2006

Glossaries from WiktionaryZ ... and well ... some features that help to improve the contents of WZ

At this moment I am translating the article about the XX Olympic Games from Italian to Neapolitan. A thing that seems to be easy, but that is not ... many terms of sports do not exist in Neapolitan dictionaries and very often I need to search quite a long time to find the term that fits. For translation, in order to allow for an easy update I use OmegaT since it makes sense to re-use the previous translation when I then pass on to update the text online. For small wikipedias it makes sense to work this way, since writing own articles often takes longer. Being a translator makes things easier for me as well, since I simply use the tools I always use.

OmegaT has a glossary function that is already very helpful, but it is not what it could be ... at this moment I am adding new terminology for my glossary here: http://nap.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:SabineCretella/lista_di_parole_IT-nap since terms must be approved in some way and available for all to use within OmegaT. Now to integrate them in the actual wiktionary you need to create the pages manually - one by one ... that takes time ... then you need to update your offline glossary, the OmegaT glossary I mean, in order to get the proposals of the terminology to use ... and this means that you have to convert the above page into OmegaT glossary format each time you update. If there are corrections to be made you need to do that in the glossary list and on wiktionary (if terms are created there) ... well WiktionaryZ together with OmegaT can resolve this problem that costs a lot of valuable time that could be used for creating new contents instead of repeating work over and over again. Therefore we thought about a reference implementation for a translation glossary - that would be THE solution. Instead of adding the words manually I just click on source + target and add it to WiktionaryZ and when I go ahead with my translation I can or update my glossary on my local machine or work directly with WiktionaryZ. That would make a huge difference ... loads of time saved, higher quality and coherency in the used terminology ... it would be simply great. Well then there is another feature that would easen work a lot ... the assemble from portions option like DéjàVu, a commercial CAT-Tool, has it. This would mean that while you translate the Wikipedia article OmegaT does not only propose the term to be used, but it already overwrites it within the translation ... if assemble from portions is used effectively it can help you a lot, in particular when translating pages like those of the calendar where you often have parts of prhases like "politician and sociologist" or "musician and componist" and whatever.
Hmmm ... I'd love to have all that now ... it would help so much with creating contents.

Sabine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home